- Job & Family Services
- Adult Protective Services
Adult Protective Services
Adult Protective Services (APS) works to ensure the personal safety and well-being of those age 60 or older who are in danger of harm, are unable to protect themselves, and may have no one to assist them.
APS strives to help people remain independent in their homes by preventing, reducing or remedying potentially dangerous conditions. If you suspect that a vulnerable adult age 60 or older has suffered abuse, neglect, or exploitation, call Miami County Department of Job and Family Services at 937-440-3471 and ask for Adult Protective Services. The State of Ohio has a statewide APS referral line available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Call 1-855-OHIO-APS or 855-644-6277 to report suspected abuse or neglect.
Information Needed When Making a Report
- When we receive calls, APS caseworker evaluate any risk to the safety of our seniors. Prior to a home visit, we like to know as much as possible about the person and their problem. Along with a description of the problem that requires our attention, we ask for the following about the person needing help:
- Name, address, phone number, and approximate age
- Name and address of the person responsible for the person’s care
- Name and address of the alleged, perpetrator, if different from the caretaker
- The reason you suspect abuse, neglect, or exploitation
- The nature and extent of the suspected abuse, neglect, or exploitation
- Any other known information
About the Process
Miami County Department of Job and Family Services are required to investigate and evaluate all reports of suspected abuse, neglect, self-neglect and exploitation of adults aged 60 and older. These adults may be handicapped due to aging or they may have mental or physical impairments which prevent them from providing their own care and protection. Once a report is received a caseworker must initiate contact with the individual within three working days and calls deemed emergent, the caseworker must initiate contact within 24 hours. The report remains anonymous.
The case worker will assess the validity of a referral with a 30-day investigation. If the claim is valid, we will work with the senior to resolve the issue(s). Through the investigation process the APS caseworker may make referrals to health care organizations, social services, legal, law enforcement, housing and other services to help the senior.
Nursing Home Referrals
For claims of abuse or neglect within an assisted living facility, contact our Regional Ombudsman Office.
Email Director Lawrence Wilkins.
For claims of abuse or neglect within a nursing home (long term facility) contact the Ohio Department of Health.