How to Apply for a Marriage License

Where do I apply for a marriage license?

  • If you are an Ohio resident, you must apply for your marriage license in the county in which either applicant resides. You may be married anywhere in the state of Ohio. 
  • If both applicants are out of state residents, you must obtain the license in the Ohio County where the marriage ceremony will be performed. 

Is identification required?

  • A valid identification is required for each applicant (driver’s license, state ID birth certificate, passport or other Immigration and Naturalization Service (I.N.S.) Visa). If necessary, you may contact the court for additional acceptable forms of ID.    

Are there any prior marriages?

  • If either applicant has been previously married and divorced:
    • A file-stamped copy of the final order granting the divorce or dissolution is required for the most recent divorce or dissolution. 
    • If widowed, the date of death.

Are blood tests required?

  • Blood tests are not required. 

Is there a waiting period?

  • There is no waiting period.  

When can I get married?

  • The license may be used the day it is issued and is valid for 60 days. The day the license is issued is day one. 

Who may perform the marriage ceremony?

  • You will make your own arrangements for someone to marry you. 
  • Only a duly ordained or licensed minister who is registered with the Secretary of the State of Ohio, a Judge, a Mayor, or the Superintendent of the State School for the Deaf may solemnize a marriage.
  • If you would like to be married at the Miami County Municipal Court, please call (937) 440-3937 or visit their website.  

What is the cost of a marriage license?

  • The cost of a marriage license is $50.00. CASH ONLY.
  • After you are married, certified copies of your marriage license will be needed to prove the marriage.  As a courtesy to you, you may prepay for these at the time you obtain your license. The cost is $5. The Court will then mail 2 certified copies of your marriage license to you upon return of proof of your marriage. If you choose not to prepay, certified copies can be obtained from the Court any time after the Court receives return of proof of your marriage. 

What are the hours of the Court?

  • The Court is open Monday through Thursday 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 pm and Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., except legal holidays. 
    • Please allow 20 minutes to obtain your license if you applied online or 1 hour if you apply in person at the Probate Court. 

Is an interpreter needed?

  • Please contact the Probate Court at (937) 440-6050, if an interpreter is needed.

Can a minor be married?

  • If either applicant is under 18 years of age: 
    • A minor less than 17 years old may not marry in Ohio.
  • The 17 year old may not marry someone more than 4 years, to the day, older than the 17 year old. 

Can I apply online for a marriage license? 

  • For your convenience, you may apply online anytime for your marriage license at the link at the bottom of this page, and then both applicants must go together to the Court to purchase the license. 
  • Complete the form and then click the “submit” button at the bottom. After a few moments, a confirmation page will appear, on which you will find the information as you entered it as well as a 10 digit tracking number. 
    • Print or take a picture of the confirmation page or tracking number and bring it to the Miami County Probate Court. 
    • If you do not bring the confirmation page or tracking number with you, you have to re-apply at the Probate Court. 
  • Applicants must still appear together, in person, to obtain their marriage license.

Can I apply for a marriage license at the Probate Court?

  • If you choose not to apply online prior to coming to the Probate Court, you will be asked to sit at a public terminal and apply online. 
  • Applicants must appear together, in person.

How long can I expect to be in the Probate Court?

  • Allow 20 minutes to obtain your marriage license if applied online.
  • Allow 1 hour to obtain your marriage license if you apply at the Court’s public terminal.

 What do I need to bring to Court?

  • Valid identification.
  • Confirmation page or tracking number (if you applied online).         
  • File–stamped copy of your most recent divorce decree.
  • Cash ($55).
  • Marriage Counseling Form (if you are a minor).
  • If you did not apply online or did not bring your confirmation page or tracking number with you, you must apply at the Court’s public terminal. 

Please see our Main Page for any upcoming court closings